Monday, July 25, 2011

No Guilt Over Enjoying Summer

So far, summer has been magical and I try to really enjoy every minute and not let it waste away before I have to return to school in the fall. The hardest thing about summer for me, though, is how expensive it is. I find my self leaving the house with $20 and spending all of it on stuff I didn't need and will never have any use for. That's not to say I'm cheap, although I probably am. I did spend money on a concert ticket and a Broadway tour of West Side Story, neither of which I regret. The purchases that leave me feeling half-empty sometimes are the endless smoothies and ice creams bought by the beach, not because of the calorie count but because it's really not stuff I need and I know I will regret giving away the money next winter when I'm all out. But yesterday I was thinking, as I sipped my Ben and Jerry's Berry Tart smoothie, that these next three summers are really the last times in my life when I won't be bound with responsibilities. I love the spontaneous rush of being able to spend my own money, or maybe it's still the rush of being independent in my life. In the moment, those treats with my friends are fun, not to mention tastey. I could probably make better use of the money in the long run, but in the short run I'm going to enjoy the rest of my summer the best way I know how! In the forecast for today, it looks like I'llbe going down to the beach and the port for a day of sunning and spending. And that's ok. I don't want to look back on these years of freedom and remember that I did it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment