Monday, September 12, 2011

Time goes by so slowly, and time can do so much

Oh, my love, my darling, I've hungered for you're touch such a long lonely time
And time goes by so slowly, are you still mine? 

The lyrics are from one of my favorite rediscovered songs of the summer, Unchained Melody. Today and within the past week, I've been thinking a lot about time in general. It might be the changing of the seasons, or the fact that I now am feeling the Christmas time crunch already, but something has brought this subject up time and time again for me in the last few days.

It's weird to me to think that time sometimes seems like it's going by so slowly, like the lyrics above, but every day no matter good or bad still has the same amount of time. No matter how much you anticipate a day or dread a day, you will have to spend exactly 24hrs in that day, and then it will be history.

I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that today is the only September 12, 2011 that the world has ever seen, or that it will ever see. Maybe in 50 years someone will pull this random date out of a hat and wonder, What happed on that day? And I don't know if I would have an answer. Nothing especially important happened today, but now that I realize it's the only "this day" history will ever know I feel that I must connect it to something meaningful.

As I get older, the years seem to fly by faster as well. As I've grown up and accumulated memories, I've found looking back at pictures to be more and more meaningful to me. It breaks my heart when I see a picture from just 7 or 8 years ago, and I don't have memories from when it was taken. I love that I'm growing older and living an amazing life, but what good are all these expiriences if I can forget them as easily as they happened?

It might just be the special date on the calendar yesterday that's making me think all this. Yesterday being the 10th anniversary of September 11th, I'm still baffled by how it could have been 10 years already. It made me think back to 2001, and I felt belittled and guilty for how little I accomplished these last 10 years, while so many people didn't have the chance to live those years at all.

"Do not regret growing older. It is a priveledge denied to many." I saw this quote somewhere once, maybe in a magazine, and have always kept it with me. It struck me as so true, that everyday is a priveledge, and that maybe those who complain about "spilled milk" should count their blessings. I'd like to end my post tonight with the request that you take a moment to reflect on how your life has changed over the past ten years since 9/11, and maybe look at the direction your life is headed in. Maybe it will do some good for someone somewhere. Be thankful.
Lonely rivers sigh, wait for me, wait for me, I'll be coming home, wait for me....

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thank-you for stopping by my blog and following me. I am following you back.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Mom's Misc Adventures

    ReplyDelete