Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Best Advice I Ever Got - A great read for the college bound!

Hi All! In tonight's post I'd like to share with you a WONDERFUL book I just finished this evening. I bought this book with some of my graduation-gift money after seeing it in a bookstore. I had been browsing for some books that would really open my mind before college, and I had remembered seeing my friend Holland reading this book at the theatre last summer. I read the inside cover and just had to buy it!!
 
bestadvice_katiecouric
 
The Best Advice I Ever Got was a fabulous read. I seriously couldn't put it down! It is a compilation of short essays - most are only a page, and many are less than that - of advice by some of the greatest achievers of this generation! I knew many of the advice givers in the book, such as Ellen DeGeneres or Tyra Banks, but I was very interested in hearing advice from some lesser-known activists or college presidents. Since I don't think that you have to be famous by any means to be successful, it was interesting to read the advice of some people who really achieved remarkable things without the fame!!
 
This book also just got me SO excited for college. I feel like, of any of my friends, I am really one of the most ready to get to a big city and never look back! I can't wait to travel all over the world through Northeastern's Co-op and Dialogue of Civilizations programs, as well as to enrich myself in interesting learning experiences on campus. The advice in this book only solidified my confidence that I am on the right path and have so much in store!
 
One of the biggest pieces of advice that I took away from this book was to say yes. Many of the contributors reiterated this important tid-bit in their essays. In order to achieve in life, I'm learning that it is important to say yes to any opportunity that comes your way. Through this, you will encounter important life experiences that can lead you along an amazing path you might never have found! Saying yes to smaller opportunities will also bring bigger opportunities your way, which is exactly what a new college freshman like myself wants to be doing!
 
I can't urge you enough to read this book, especially if you are starting an exciting new chapter of your life like I am! Along with The Secret, this book has inspired me to live my life in a way that I think will give me the most exciting and rewarding life, whether it is in my career and educational life or in my family and relationship life. These two books have been my favorite of the year so far, and I just couldn't be more excited to get to Boston and start getting to work after reading The Best Advice I Ever Got!
 
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment